Monday, September 1, 2008

Book Review: "Little Brother"


"Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow. Tor Teen, 2008.

I don't remember how I heard about this title, but I'm sure glad I found it! My husband read it first, and called it a "page turner" and "required reading for every teen." My teen daughter also read it and called it "good." I read it and have decided to become a LOT more proactive and thoughtful about how I spread traces of my life and activities online.

Marcus (aka W1n5t0n) and friends have skipped school to play an online scavenger hunt-type computer game near San Francisco. Just about that time, terrorists blow up the Bay Bridge. Marcus and friends are "detained" for questioning for several days, and then released. However, in those few days, California has been transformed into a police state by the Department of Homeland Security as they search for the terrorists. Marcus uses his knowledge of computer networking and security systems to take on the DHS single-handedly and attempts to end their lock on people's civil rights.

Doctorow is a digital rights activist and works with the Electronic Freedom Foundation. He also blogs and has a respectable list of published books, some of which are available at Sacramento Public Library.

No comments: