Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sacramento Career Night

I remember back when I was searching for a “real” job---you know, the kind with health care and benefits people in Europe take for granted (along with leaving their babies outside of restaurants while they eat in peace). My mother had always said, “Somebody has quit, retired, died or got fired since yesterday.” In other words, keep trying. However, I wasn’t too worried until the day she told me, “I don’t want anyone to die, but you need a job.” Imagining my mother wearing one of those hideous orange jumpsuits because she committed some unspeakable crime to land me my dream job was enough to intensify my search…

That, and staying home with children was driving me crazy.

If you’ve never stayed home with children, your own or others, I advise against it unless you have the patience of Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy, enjoy wearing splattered clothes, eating chicken crackers, chicken fingers, and chicken noodle soup daily, fishing toys (and jewelry) out of the toilet, carrying on bizarre conversations, or watching the same DVD for hours (months) on end. Using your remote to block out all the horrible children's programming only goes so far in reserving your sanity. The day I repeatedly told everyone, “He said banana! Can you say banana? Banana! Say banana! You’re such a good boy!” was the day I applied to graduate school.

But for those of you who aren’t looking forward to five figures in student loans, the Sacramento Bee, the Sacramento Public Library, UC Davis Extension, and SETA presents Sacramento Career Night: Resources to Help you Stand out from the Crowd. Enjoy a free session that will help you land a job, create an effective resume, switch careers, stand out from other candidates, and find career success in today’s job market!

This event starts at 5 pm in the Library Galleria. Parking in the Library Garage (off of J St. between 8th and 9th streets) will be available for $5.

We hope to see you there!

No comments: