Thursday, August 7, 2008

Save Your Family's Sanity---Create a Reading History


My mom asked me to pick up “the movie with the man in it.”
This would have been fine had this been that crazy Mad TV skit I saw several years ago, but she actually meant it. Our conversation went something like this:

Mom: “I need the movie with the man in it.”
Me: “Huh?”
Mom: “You know the one I’m talking about.”
Me: “No, I don’t.”
Mom: “The movie with the man that I checked out but returned too early.”
Me: “What man?”
Mom: “That one guy. You know, the guy.”
Me: “Again, what guy? Can I get a description?”
Mom: “Stop acting like you don’t know who I’m talking about.”
Me: “Who do I look like, Sylvia Browne? I’m not psychic!”
Mom: “Don’t talk to me that way! Now I want the movie with that man in it.”
Me: “Lady, the only movie without men in it is ‘The Women.’ Everything else has a man in it. It may not have the man in it, but it has men. I need more info.”
Mom: “Okay, it’s that guy who’s in a bunch of movies.”
Me:Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Matt Damon---”
Mom: “Matt Damon. I think that was the guy. See, you knew who I was talking about. I want that one movie with him in it.”

The sad thing is, this conversation need not have happened. By going into your library account, you can create a reading history. This allows you to save the titles of items you previously enjoyed, in case you want to check them out again. Believe me, it is much easier to request materials when you have something more to go on than “the singer that I liked has a new CD.”

BTW, the movie she wanted turned out to be The Bourne Ultimatum.

No comments: